Electrical Service Upgrades in Champaign, IL
It’s possible that your Champaign or Fairbury, IL, home could highly benefit from an electrical service upgrade, especially if your house is older than forty years old. Unfortunately, your home may not have sufficient power to assist with all of your home’s electrical needs. Not only can having older electrical service destroy your current appliances and devices, but it could also become a safety hazard as well. Contact one of our skilled and professional Edelman Inc electricians to talk about how your home could benefit from one of our upgrades.Book Appointment
What’s Involved in an Electrical Service Upgrade?
Upgrading your home’s electrical service could mean only upgrading just your electrical panel, or it could also mean upgrading your home’s wiring system too. The electrical panel is important because it is the center of your home’s electrical system. From this point, circuits carry all the required electricity to any appliances, lights, and outlets which are in your home. The panel can then determine how much power is available for distribution from the circuits going to the appliances, lights, and outlets. How many circuits there are, as well as their sizes, can decide how that power is distributed through the home.
Inside of your electrical panel or breaker box, which you can find in your basement, garage, utility room, or a closet, you will typically see rows of switches. Each of these switches will correspond to a label on the inside of the panel door. That label will indicate which appliance or outlet it corresponds to inside your home. This label will usually indicate the amperage allowed on that breaker before it will cause a trip in the system, which it is design that way as a safety measure to avoid overloading.
To upgrade your electrical service, an experienced electrician, like our technicians at Edelman Inc, will ordinarily do one of the following:
- We can help upgrade your electrical panel, which helps bring in more power to your home.
- We can replace your meter and circuit breaker box, allowing it the ability to handle more power
- We can replace the electrical panel or individual circuit breakers that could possible by damaged, too old, or both.
Also, your home’s wiring could be upgraded or replaced. By adding more outlets and/or replacing current ones, this could help it go a long way in extending the life of the electrical situation in your home. This is particularly needed if you have newer appliances or technological devices. In the past, the standard household power was a mere 60 amps, but newer homes now may need as many as 200 amps to safely run items such as computers, high-definition televisions, air conditioners, smart home devices, and home-automation devices.
A great time to upgrade is during any type of remodel or additions. This makes it an easier process for the electrician to access the wiring within walls and ceilings since they will be exposed.
How Do I Know if My Home Needs One?
There are some obvious warning signs signaling an upgrade is needed. Some of the most common signs are:
- If you notice your circuit breakers are constantly and frequently tripping.
- You are hearing any type of crackling sounds coming from the breaker box.
- Your appliances aren’t running on their full power or the lights dim when the appliances turn on.
- You are having to use extension cords or adapters, because you seem to need more outlets.
- Aging circuit breaker panels which are older than 25 to 40 years old and not able to trip. (Which is a definite warning.)
- The aging outlets in your home are only two-pronged instead of a safer grounded three-pronged outlet.
- No of your outlets near water sources have a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) installed, which will increase your chance of electrocution.
- You plan on adding any type of high-power appliance to your home, including an air conditioner or hot tub or any larger appliance.
- If any of these situations are true for you in your home, reach one of our Edelman Inc electricians to see what we can do to help.
By upgrading your home’s electrical service at times it is a necessity for safety and common-sense purposes. When this is necessary, please do not attempt to do this yourself. While replacing an outlet or a light switch can possibly be a DIY job, upgrading or replacing a home’s electrical service is a major project and should be done by a qualified and licensed electrician to avoid injury or death. Electricity is not something to play around with and take chances. Reach us today at 217-290-9065 for a consultation on what may be needed in your home.
Edelman Inc. understands that keeping your home safe and comfortable can quickly become expensive. With approved credit, our customers can get the products and services they need, while paying over time. The experts at Edelman work with Wells Fargo to help find the best financing options for you.