Common Problems With AC Systems
Some problems you can fix yourself and some are best left to a heating, air conditioning and indoor air quality technician. Here are some common AC issues homeowners in Champaign-Urbana frequently experience.
- It won’t turn on. First, check whether your thermostat is set to a temperature below the current temperature in your house. Next, check that your circuit breaker is not tripped so that the system has power.
- The air is not cold. Make sure your thermostat is set to the temperature that you prefer. Check that your outdoor unit doesn’t have leaves or debris obstructing airflow. Try changing your filters so that a dirty filter indoors is not blocking airflow through the system.
- Uneven airflow. Are some rooms cool and some hot? Make sure the vents in all rooms are open. Your ducts to warm rooms may have leaks. Used-up filters can also block airflow. As systems age, this can also produce uneven cooling.
- Water is dripping. When the condensate pan fills up with dripping water, your system should automatically turn off. When it doesn’t turn off, a common cause is a clog in the condensate line. This is the pipe that comes out of your air conditioner. If refrigerant is leaking, ice can accumulate on the coils and drip water.
- Strange Noises. Squeaking, grinding, clicking and banging noises can point to a serious problem that needs immediate attention from a professional. Please turn your system off and give us a call for AC repair services in Champaign, Illinois.
COUNT ON AC SERVICES FROM EDELMAN, INC
Our factory-trained, licensed technicians can diagnose your system and provide you with a range of cost-effective options to get your Champaign, IL house cool again as quickly as possible.
Our heating and air conditioning technicians are all top-notch, each having obtained the NATE certification, the gold standard for & cooling system certification.
You can count on our written one-year 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed warranty. We are also the only factory-authorized Carrier HVAC system dealer in Champaign, IL. This means that on top of our guarantee, your new system is 100% guaranteed by the manufacturer. We are a Presidential Award-winning Carrier installer for the last two years.
We consider every call we get as urgent, and you can rely on us to be at your home as quickly as possible to diagnose your issue and find a solution promptly.
Air Conditioning Basics
The four major components of your air conditioner are:
- Condenser: The condenser is the outside metal unit and where the gas from the compressor will be condensed into a liquid form. The gas that enters the condenser will be very hot. The temperature is then lowered, so the gas can then convert back to a liquid form.
- Compressor: The compressor is located inside the condenser. It circulates the pressurized refrigerant, which then will concentrate the heat and then change the low pressure gas to a high pressure.
- Evaporator: The evaporator is the part of the system inside your home. In simple terms, it absorbs all of the heat from your Champaign area home.
- Expansion Valve: The expansion valve will control the amount of refrigerant in your AC system.
All of these parts are connected by copper tubing which handles refrigerant, creating what’s known as a closed loop. Heat is then collected in the evaporator and sent outside to the condenser. During the final step, the heat is removed, and the cool air is recirculated back into your home.
An AC unit does not create cool air
What happens in the air conditioning process is actually the removal of any heat from the air. Your AC uses a chemical called refrigerant to remove any heat and then transfer it outside. The warm air will run through the lines and coils in your unit and then processes from a liquid to gas and then back again. During this entire process, the refrigerant removes any heat and transfers it elsewhere so that when the air comes out the other side, it is cooled air.
Your AC will also remove humidity
Lower humidity will help with the overall comfort level in your home by making you feel cooler, even if the temperature remains the same.
Your air filter should always be checked and replaced every three to six months or more often if needed (depending on the manufacturer’s recommendations).
A dirty air filter will highly restrict any airflow, which reduces efficiency and costs you money. Over time, this will stress your unit and could cause a very costly repair.
Your air conditioner needs maintenance
Your air conditioner requires regular checkups to keep it running in great shape. Performing regular annual preventative maintenance will keep your system running longer with fewer breakdowns over time.
A higher SEER means better efficiency
The Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) is used to measure air conditioning and heat pump cooling efficiency, which is then calculated by the cooling output for a regular cooling season and divided by the total electric energy input during a similar time frame. A higher SEER rating means better energy efficiency.
At Edelman, Inc, we will perform all the services you may need to keep your AC running in perfect shape. Call us at 217-290-9065 for repairs, maintenance, or information on having a new air conditioner installed in your Champaign, IL home. We also offer 24-7 emergency service in case your AC issue can’t wait until the next day.
HEATING, ELECTRICAL & PLUMBING EXPERTS
Do you need your heating system serviced, but you are also experiencing electrical problems or a clogged toilet? Great news! Edelman, Inc is a one-stop shop for all of your home’s service needs. Our trucks are fully outfitted, and our technicians are at the top of their fields in all three specialties.
We’re a locally-owned HVAC services company that is proud to service all of the great residents of Champaign, IL. Pick up the phone and call us, or contact us online to schedule service with one of our certified heating, cooling and indoor air quality specialists.