How Do Air Purifiers Work?
If you’re a Champaign, IL area homeowner who suffers from spring allergies, you may be searching for the right indoor air quality equipment to reduce your symptoms. However, to the millions of Americans who suffer from allergies, that sounds too good to be true, right? Air purifiers are an excellent option, but you may not be familiar with the way they function. This begs the question: how do air purifiers work? Edelman Inc. shares the details and explains why installing a whole house air purifier can benefit you and your loved ones.
How Do Air Purifiers Work?
Air purifiers work by utilizing a set of filters to help keep the air inside of your home clean. Filtration is a method of air cleaning that most homeowners know to associate with HVAC systems. Unfortunately, HVAC system filters aren’t capable of extracting all of the allergens and contaminants that exist in our indoor air supply, nor is that their purpose. Filtration and filters pass air through media, and particles are trapped by the media, effectively removing them from the air supply.
Air purifiers work a bit differently. While some whole house air purifiers use a pre-filter unit to mechanically filter contaminant particles out of the air, their main mechanism is UV light. These devices run using bulbs that emit UVC energy to treat air flowing through the light stream.
UV air purifiers are installed within the HVAC system to treat contaminants in the air supply while air is moving through the heating or cooling unit for conditioning. As air circulates, the UVC energy from the bulbs neutralizes any organic matter in the air. Mold spores, bacteria, viruses, pollen, dust mites, and other allergens are killed on contact so they are unable to reproduce, nor are they able to trigger symptoms or cause infections upon exposure. The particles still remain in the air supply, but the air purifier renders them harmless to humans in the home.
Benefits of Air Purifier Installation
Installing a whole house air purifier brings a variety of benefits, including:
- Eliminating lingering odors caused by mold, mildew, and bacteria in the home.
- Reducing exposure to allergens and contaminants that trigger allergy symptoms and asthma attacks.
- Keeping your family healthier throughout the year b minimizing the spread of illnesses throughout your household.
- Requiring minimal electricity so they don’t cost much to operate throughout the year.
- Air purifiers are extremely low maintenance, and only require bulb replacement every one to three years, depending on your equipment.
- Eliminating mold growth in your HVAC system which can restrict performance and waste energy, as well as stress components and cause the unit to break down.
- Preventing the spread of mold and mildew throughout your duct-work and living areas, stopping future growth and damage.
- UV air purifiers don’t produce ozone as they operate, so you don’t have to worry about ozone exposure due to their use.
Air Purifier Installation in Champaign, IL
Air purifiers are an excellent tool to help you combat air pollution, allergens, and more inside your Champaign, IL area home. If you have questions regarding how air purifiers work or would like an estimate for installation of a whole house air purifier, contact Edelman Inc. today.